Friday, January 29, 2010

For Shinde, failure was a stepping stone to success

Prafulla Marpakwar | TNN


Mumbai: Students who are depressed can follow this friendly piece of advice from union energy minister Sushilkumar Shinde. “Suicide is not the answer, build up your will power. Even if you fail in one examination, that’s not the end of the road, as you have another chance to appear in the same test. One day, you will definitely achieve your goal,’’ Shinde said.

Seventy-year-old Shinde’s childhood was marked by struggle. His parents were very poor, as a result, he was unable to pay his fees. His teachers came to his rescue.

“My parents were very poor. They would to tell me to give up education and get a daily wage job, but I insisted on studying in school. My teachers were very cooperative,’’ Shinde said.

Despite his financial situation, Shinde somehow managed to appear for the SSC examination in 1961. On the day of the result, Shinde was declared ‘fail.’ He did not give up hope and appeared for the same examination in the following academic year, but again, he was declared unsuccessful. “Then I had twooptions, either to give up education or make a third attempt. I chose the latter option with great determination. I passed the matriculation examination in the third attempt,’’ Shinde said.

Even after clearing the SSC examination, it was not smooth sailing for Shinde. “Getting admission in college was a difficult task because of my financial condition. But again my teachers helped me,’’ Shinde said.

Shinde not only graduated in arts, but later, also cleared his law examination. For a while, he practised in a Mumbai court and then joined the police force as a sub-inspector. “It was during this time that I got interested in politics. I quit the PSI job and joined politics,’’ Shinde said.

Even though he is a Dalit, Shinde was rarely elected to the state legislative assembly from a reserved constituency. He was first elected to the assembly in 1974 in a by-election and in the same year, inducted into the cabinet. In his political career spanning well over four-anda-half decades, Shinde held key positions, including chief minister of Maharashtra and governor of Andhra Pradesh.

Shinde is never embarrassed by his poor academic performance. “It’s a fact that my academic career was really dismal, but I don’t feel the need to hide this. I advise students not to be disheartened by failure in an examination. If you have will power, success is in store for you. Of course, there may be some delay,’’ Shinde said.

It is a fact that my academic career was really dismal, but I don’t feel the need to hide this. I advise students not to be disheartened by failure in an examination. If you have the will, success is in store for you
Sushilkumar Shinde | UNION
ENERGY MINISTER

No comments: