Friday, July 4, 2008

Agony, ecstasy after mad rush to colleges

Roana Maria Costa | TNN

Mumbai: On a cloudy Thursday afternoon at a south Mumbai college campus, three girls just couldn’t stop screaming. Ayushi Anandpara, Anam Merchant and Aanchal Jumani hugged each other on Thursday in between their squeals. They were ecstatic at having got into the junior college of their choice.

“I scored a percentile of 94.8, but was not sure I would make the Xavier’s cut-off as they have a 60% reservation and we fall in the other 40%. But I have made it here and am very happy,’’ said a glowing Anandpara, who has chosen the arts stream. Standing on the basketball court, she shared her euphoria with her friend Anam Merchant.

“Ecstatic is not even the word that I can use to even start to describe what I feel. Making the first merit list gives me the best feeling and I am on the top of the world right now,’’ said an excited Merchant, who too applied for arts.

As students and parents scrambled over each other to see which names had featured in the first merit lists, a long queue formed across the court for the purchase of application forms. The atmosphere was charged as students chalked out plans and shared notes with friends.

Jumani, who got into HR College but was with her school friends at Xavier’s, said her kick of the day was the text message HR College sent to her informing her that she had made the cut. “At 3 o’clock sharp, just as the college opened its gates, the SMSes were sent. When I got there, it was a mad rush as I had to push my way to see my name,’’ said the excited girl.

But as those who made the cut were relieved and went into party mode, there were others who will have to wait for the second merit list.

Standing outside HR College at Churchgate, Darshan Modi was feeling low. “I applied to HR, KC and Jai Hind, but got through only at KC. I expected to see my name at the other two colleges too. I now pin all my hopes on the second merit list,’’ said the lanky teen.

Anushi Shah too was upset. “I got a percentile of 87.94, but that was not enough to get into Jai Hind or HR. I can only wish that the second list changes the tide for me,’’ she said.

District quota called for
Mumbai: Colleges that have not kept 70% seats for students in their district will have to put out a new merit list, according to a state education department circular sent to district education offices on Thursday. The circular quotes a 2003 order that asks for the quota. Mumbai has three districts—Mumbai, Mumbai suburbs 1 and Mumbai suburbs 2. TNN

ALL EYES ON BOARD: Students at Patkar College, Goregaon scan the first merit lists put out on Thursday.

No comments: