Thursday, July 3, 2008

From classes to classic

Roana Maria Costa | TNN

Mumbai: If Ramesh Sippy, director of Bollywood’s biggest blockbuster Sholay, had the chance to go back to college, he would do it differently. “I hope my children and their children have all the fun that I missed out on in college,’’ he says.

Sippy, who lived next door to Jai Hind at Churchgate, joined in the arts stream in 1961. “I was training at my family’s film studio when I was studying there, so after classes, which ended at 10am, I rushed to work. This left me little time to chill out and see the fun part of college,’’ says the director.

“I had no time to be naughty and play pranks. Classes were from 7 to 10 and then I went to the studio. So I ended up being a serious kid as I could not miss out on what was happening in class.’’

Sippy says he felt very comfortable at the college. “I must say my experience at Jai Hind was wonderful and the college was an amazing one to study at. The atmosphere and faculty were great. But if I had the chance to be a student again, I would do it differently. I would engage in all the extra-curricular activities I could.’’

Sippy did participate in eloctions, but had no time for theatre. His creativity, he says, was not particulary honed at Jai Hind as there was no film or communications course at the time. “But I believe that education plays a big role in making a person better and shaping minds,’’ he says.

Other alumni: Aishwarya Rai, the late Sunil Dutt, Ajay Piramal, John Abraham, the Raheja
brothers, Anjali Mukherjee.

MILESTONES

Jai Hind was established in 1948, after Independence, by the displaced Sindhi community

Jai Hind was awarded an A grade by the National Assessment of Accreditation Council (NAAC) in April 2003

The college began by offering only arts courses in a room at Elphistone College, Kala Ghoda. The science stream was started in 1949, while the commerce stream began in 1980

TIED TO HISTORY: Jai Hind College was opened after Partition


CHANGING THE PLOT: ’Sholay’ director Ramesh Sippy, who says he was too serious at college, wishes to return again so he can chill out

No comments: