Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Not quantity, but quality time matters

Don’t study so much. Go out and do some exercise.’’ This certainly doesn’t sound like the kind of advice a typical father would give his daughter a few months before her Class X board examination. But that’s exactly what Shivika gets to hear from her dad.

“There has been no pressure on me to study. I’ve studied on my own without my parents ever pressurising me,’’ says Shivika.

And Shivika has taken her father Shirish’s advice rather seriously. She goes out for a walk whenever she can. “During the exams, a half-hour walk helps to clear my mind,’’ says Shivika.

A movie buff, Shivika says she has had to cut down on the number of films that she could manage to squeeze in during Class X, when compared with the previous year. “But I still watch a movie at least once or twice a month,’’ says Shivika, who loves catching the premier show of every film.

“I don’t think the quantity of time for which a child studies is important. A few hours of quality study make a lot more sense than studying the entire day at a stretch,’’ feels her mother Supriya. “I’ve seen kids studying from morning to night without really absorbing what’s in the textbook,’’ she adds. She has also encountered parents who fuss over the loss of a single mark in an exmaintaion, something she does not believe in.

SHIVIKA POONGLIA
JB Petit High School Fort
(Class X)

Shivika (second from right) with her family

No comments: