Friday, June 26, 2009

THEY OVERCOME CHALLENGES TO TOP THE MERIT LIST

BACKWARD CLASS TOPPER
No mountain is too high for this girl
Rebecca Samervel | TNN
Mumbai: Looking for Anjali Jadhav’s house in Adarsh Nagar, Goregaon (W) on any other day would have been a mammoth task. But the 16-year-old’s new found celebrity status—she’s the city topper in the backward category with 95.84%—made it easy. Sign boards were posted all around directing the continuous stream of visitors to her one-room house. “I expected to score well, but this is beyond my wildest dreams,’’ she said.

An aspiring engineer, the teenager’s journey to the top was not easy. Studying 12 hours a day in a tiny loft that doubled as a study room, Anjali sacrificed her favourite activities for a year. “I gave up painting, watching movies, reading books and playing volleyball. But now, I am looking forward to pursuing painting,’’ she said.

While math and Sanskrit were a breeze, English proved to be an obstacle. “I found English difficult, but with extra classes I managed to score 90 in the subject,’’ said Anjali. “My parents and brother helped me stay up nights and encouraged me.’’ The daughter of a painting operator and a housewife, Anjali said her ideal is former President APJ Abdul Kalam who made it to the top on his own steam.


NIGHT SCHOOL TOPPER ‘You’ll do well if your heart’s into it’
Rohini Nair | TNN
Mumbai: It was a steep drop in her academic performance during the year that pushed Sonal Singh from Canossa Night High School to study harder for her SSC exams and score 84.15%. And it was well worth the effort. On Thursday, Sonal found out that she also topped Maharashtra in the night school category.

Sonal, who studied for four hours every day, said, “It’s a misconception that you have to study for 10 hours to achieve something. As long as your heart’s in it, even if the time spent is less, you will do well. People in my class are from different age groups, but that’s not a problem.’’ Among her classmates who passed the SSC were Shaheen Quereshi, who sells fish and Saraswati Balikoti, who is employed as a maid.


Shaheen scored 59.23% despite sharing her residence with seven siblings and a workday that starts at 7 am. “I have to make my life,’’ said Shaheen, who wants to study commerce at SNDT. A sentiment echoed by 22-year-old Saraswati, who scored 40.76% and wishes to study further.


HANDICAPPED TOPPER His condition did not deter him
Nimish Sawant | TNN
Mumbai: Physically challenged Navnit Mehrul’s happiness knew no bounds when his mother, Madhuri, broke the news to him that he had topped in the SSC handicap category. Navnit, a student of IES V N Sule School, Dadar, scored 94.6%. He was born with a genetically deformed left hand, but has learned
to live with it. “I can draw diagrams without using my left hand,’’ he said proudly.

Talking about his future, the teenager said, “I want to study science in junior college, and later pursue a career in civil engineering. I already enrolled in an IIT coaching class. But some day, I would like to become an IAS officer.” In his spare time, Navnit follows his two passions: collecting pictures of cars and watching cricket.

No comments: