Friday, June 26, 2009

TOPPERS TALK: THESE HIGH-SCORERS MISSED THE GOLD ONLY BY A MARK OR TWO

SECOND She plans to be an IAS officer
Nitin Yeshwantrao | TNN
Thane: While Shefali Pradeep Mhadadalkar—who is ranked second in the Mumbai division with 96.3%, loves watching television—she insisted that there can be no compromises when it comes to study time.

“She has tremendous
grasping ability and concentration. She would not immerse herself in her books all the time, and would make time to watch her favourite show and documentaries on National Geographic,’’ said her father who is employed with the Mumbai Port Trust.

The 15-year-old attributed her success to her teachers at Saraswati Vidyalaya High School at Rabodi in Thane, and her parents. “I plan to take admission in the science stream and will also prepare for competitive exams. I want to become and IAS officer,’’ she said. Anjali intends to enrol at Kelkar College in Mulund, and will give the popular south Mumbai colleges a miss.

SECOND ‘Mum’s strength inspired me’
Prathmesh Kher | TNN
Mumbai: Thursday was a day of celebration for city second ranker Sanket Patil, 16, who scored 96.3% in the state board exam. “In the morning, when the news channels started flashing my name as the second topper from Mumbai, I
thought they were talking of someone else. But then I got a call from my school,’’ said Sanket, a student of St Anthony’s Convent High School, Vasai.

He attributed his success to his parents who he said inspired him with their determination. Sanket’s mother is battling cancer, and it’s her strength that helped, said the teenager. Speaking of his study routine, he said, “I followed a strict timetable set by my parents. I would study in school, at home and in coaching classes. But I took time out for extracurricular activities like dancing, singing and writing.’’ Sanket intends to join an IIT and become an engineer.

SECOND ‘I didn’t expect to do this well’
Nimish Sawant I TNN
Mumbai: The SSC results day will remain etched in the memory of Nishigandha Kerure, who lost the top rank in the state by a mere one mark. But Nishigandha was delighted when she scored 96.3% at the
SSC examination, making her rank second overall in the state.

A student of the semi-English medium of Balmohan Vidyamandir, Nishigandha had moved to Mumbai from Osmanabad two years ago. “I was expecting to score around 95%, but I never thought I’d stand second in the state board. This has come as a pleasant surprise to me,’’ said Nishigandha.

“I never followed a strict timetable. I studied for only around three to four hours every day. After prelims, I put in more hours,’’ she said. Nishigandha wants to pursue either mechanical or chemical engineering at the IIT.


THIRD Hard work ultimately pays off
Nitin Yeshwantrao | TNN
Thane: It was her parents’ emphasis on education and hard work that inspired Tejal Sandesh Pradhan to give her best shot at the SSC exam. Having bagged the third position in the Mumbai division with 96.15%, the 15-year-old
student of A K Joshi School in Naupada, Thane, is set to follow in the footsteps of her family, most of whom are engineers.

Discipline and sticking to her well-laid-out study timetable, she said, helped her focus. “I worked hard to achieve this. My parents had prepared a chart, which I followed strictly. I also had spare time to pursue my hobbies,’’ said the teenager.
“She has always been a school topper, and this year she received the ‘Best Girl’ trophy,’’ said her mother Madhuri, an electrical engineer. Tejal intends to take up engineering, which one could say, is the family profession.


THIRD A mix of sports and studies
Nimish Sawant I TNN
Mumbai: Mrunmai Jadhav realised that she had stood third in the state board Std X exams in the Mumbai division when she saw her name being flashed on news channels on Thursday.

A student of IES VN Sule School, Dadar,
Mrunmai scored 96.15%. Discipline, she said, played a major role in her success. “I studied regularly through the year. After the prelims, I made a timetable and followed it diligently,” said Mrunmai, who scored 100% in science.

Mrunmai is an avid sportsperson. “I am passionate about chess and badminton. I even represented my school at the district level in both sports in my final year,” she said. Her father, Padmakar, a BMC engineer, wants her to be an IAS officer. “She has been an intelligent child, so I was expecting her to cross 95%. I also expected her to feature in the merit list,” he said.

No comments: